Boyertown, a borough in Berks County, is similar to many communities in Pennsylvania and even in the entire United States in the sense that it is not spared from occasional flooding and high humidity. Whether these are caused by natural occurrences or by structural or maintenance failures, these instances can easily lead to water damage.
Water damage is a common problem that branches in many forms. Boyertown residents have to perform water extraction, sewage cleanup, carpet cleaning, and other tasks depending on the situation. These are often attended to immediately. Otherwise, the structure of the house as well as everything inside it would suffer more damage. However, there are tasks that residents don’t normally consider as urgent; one of these is mold remediation.
Although mold is naturally available everywhere, people react to it differently. Some have no reaction to it at all while others can have severe reactions. What is constant is that prolonged exposure to it is not good for a person no matter what his or her health condition is.
Mold groups that unleash “mycotoxins” or “toxic molds” are the most harmful. But since most homeowners cannot recognize which mold is detrimental to health, a trained eye must be sought out as soon as the problem is discovered or symptoms are experienced. Mold is popularly known to trigger asthma, but can also cause irritations, rashes, and sinus problems. Memory loss and dizziness are not often associated to mold growth but they are, in fact, aftermaths of exposure to molds.
The best way to prevent mold is to eliminate excess water and moisture. Areas in the home that frequently make use of water such as the bathroom and kitchen should have fans and dehumidifiers in place or kept dry always. Spills must be cleaned immediately, including ones on the carpets. Provide proper ventilation so mold doesn’t start to form in the first place is essential.
When mold is already present, call your local mold remediation company. While using a mold and mildew cleaner or ordinary soap and bleach may take care of the job in minor situations, avoid a DIY process when a huge area is already covered by mold.
Should you choose to handle the problem yourself, don’t forget to wear protective equipment and clothing, particularly a face mask and an eye protector. Both inhalation and contact to mold can spark off allergic reactions. Beware, though, that some molds may not be conspicuous but they are still dangerous to health just the same. The most reliable way to handle it is to call your local mold remediation company to assess and get rid of molds.
Mold growth may appear harmless and many homeowners decide to take care of it simply because it is unsightly. What they don’t know is that molds are not just ugly spots on the wall; they can be dangerous as well. The process of mold remediation may not be as urgent as sewage cleanup, but it should be done as soon as possible – and done by an expert for that matter.